The Association of Directors of Public Health (ADPH) seeks to improve and protect the health of the population by working to:
- collate and present the views of Directors of Public Health on public health policy to national governments, the media and other organisations;
- advise on public health policy and legislation at a local, regional, national and international level;
- facilitate a support network for Directors of Public Health to share ideas and good practice and support problem-solving;
- identify and fulfil the development needs of Directors of Public Health where practicable and appropriate;
- in collaboration with others, further the development of comprehensive, equitable public health policies through relevant statutory and other bodies.
ADPH is a collaborative organisation working in partnership with others where appropriate in order to both maximise the voice for public health and to minimise the use of resources.
In order to support DsPH in their role the Association aligns itself centrally between the NHS, Local Authority and Public Health. It therefore aims to have close working relationships with national organisations working across sectors.